Day 13 - Fathers

WHAT’S GOD’S HEART FOR FAMILIES?

Luke 15:20-25: “While he was still a long way off…his father ran to him, hugged him, and kissed him.”

Psalm 27:10: “Even if my father and mother left me all alone, the Lord would take me in.”

Recently, my church held a Purity Conference for young girls and young women ranging from the ages of 10 to 25. My assignment was to close the two-day event by speaking on the “Father’s Love.” In my introductory remarks, I asked the question, “how many of you girls love your dad, and how many of you don’t really like your dad?”

About 60 percent of the girls enthusiastically raised their hands with affectionate smiles while the other 40 percent twisted in their chairs making it perfectly clear their dads were not one of their favorite people.

When the conference ended, I asked a sweet eleven year old girl named Kimmy if she enjoyed the conference.

She responded by saying, “I liked it, but I cried two times.”

“Why did you cry?” I asked.

With a tear in her eye she said, “I cried when you talked about not having a daddy yourself.”

My heart went out to this little girl. I knelt down and gave Kimmy a big daddy hug!

When I made it home, I told my two daughters what happened. The first words out of their mouths were, “Dad, did you give her a big hug?” I told them, “I sure did!”

Fathers are so important in their children’s lives. Kids need their fathers. In our cities today there is a massive shortage of good and present fathers. The Church has the opportunity to show the love of our Heavenly Father to a fatherless generation. We can be the ones who give the-soul-hungering-for-a-father’s-love a big hug. The Church can proclaim to the fatherless in our city that God is a father who loves them and will never leave them!

REFLECTION: 1. What are ways we can encourage fathers who are doing a great job? 2. Are their ways we can come alongside children who are living with a father wound? 3. What is God’s heart for your city in the ways it can show the Father’s love to a fatherless generation?

Mark Strong Portland, OR.

PLEASE SHARE WHAT GOD IS REVEALING TO YOU BELOW! REMEMBER TO SAY WHAT CITY YOU ARE FROM!

Tags:

Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square